System 2221 Error Mapping Drive
Heinz
2005-04-04 17:07:04 UTC
If I Map a drive from Windows XP on a domain, as in:
Net Use Q: \\Nt4SrvName\ShareName
I get a System error 2221. The user name could not be found.

But if I do the same thing with an IP address, such as:
Net Use Q: \\192.168.52.11\ShareName
It is successfull.

If I Ping Nt4SrvName it resolves to the correct I/P Address.

What is going on here?
Heinz
2005-04-04 17:49:01 UTC
I should add that the NT-Server is not in the 2003 domain, but DNS contains
both Forward and Reverse Lookup records for the server as below:

Forward Lookup Zones
ophl.ca
NT4SRVNAME Host(A) 192.168.52.11

Reverse Lookup Zones
192.168.52.x Subnet
192.168.52.11 OPSWPGNT1.ophl.ca.
192.168.52.11 opswpgnt1.

Is there something wrong here?
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
2005-04-05 16:02:37 UTC
Post by Heinz
Net Use Q: \\Nt4SrvName\ShareName
I get a System error 2221. The user name could not be
found.
Net Use Q: \\192.168.52.11\ShareName
It is successfull.
If I Ping Nt4SrvName it resolves to the correct I/P
Address.
What is going on here?
Does the mapping work if you use FQDN in the mapping
\\OPSWPGNT1.ophl.ca\sharename ?
--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
===================================
Heinz
2005-04-05 17:13:01 UTC
Post by Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Does the mapping work if you use FQDN in the mapping
\\OPSWPGNT1.ophl.ca\sharename ?
No, then I get: System error 67 has occurred.
The network name cannot be found.
See results below:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\op_new>net use q: \\opswpgnt1\mntcprg
System error 2221 has occurred.

The user name could not be found.

C:\op_new>net use q: \\opswpgnt1.ophl.ca\mntcprg
System error 67 has occurred.

The network name cannot be found.

C:\op_new>ping opswpgnt1

Pinging opswpgnt1.ophl.ca [192.168.52.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.52.11: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.52.11: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.52.11: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.52.11: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.52.11:

C:\op_new>nslookup opswpgnt1
Server: wpgbk1.ophl.ca
Address: 192.168.50.25

Name: opswpgnt1.ophl.ca
Address: 192.168.52.11

C:\op_new>net use q: \\192.168.52.11\mntcprg
The command completed successfully.
laratech2
2007-08-16 07:43:43 UTC
I am having exactly the same issue here, works fine with the domain
admin account though? Any ideas anyone?
--
laratech2
laratech2's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=29456

http://forums.techarena.in
timeshell
2007-09-25 18:30:26 UTC
While logging into the domain with my user. However, logging int
another computer works fine. Domain admin also works. Suggestions

--
timeshel
timeshell's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=3174

http://forums.techarena.i
DaveE
2007-10-01 16:16:44 UTC
I ran into precisely the same trouble trying to map a drive located on a
local workgroup (thepauls) while connected to a Windows 2003 domain over
a VPN connection.

I finally got the local drive mapping to work by adding a username and
password to the *use net* command as such:

Code:
--------------------
use net e: \\pirsig"\DaveE's Documents" password /u:thepauls\DaveE
--------------------

where *password* is the user's password and *thepauls\DaveE* is the
local workgroup and username.

The username and password I'm using above are the same as I use to
login to the XP machine I want to map the drive on (pirsig).

What's so strange about this is I have two XP machines on the local
workgroup (thepauls) and I can map drives on one of them (chesterton)
without all this trouble but to map drives on the other listed here
(pirsig), I have to go through all this work. Anyone got an idea of
what's different between the two?

These two web pages provide more detail and helped me:

- http://www.howtonetworking.com/VPN/browsingovervpne1.htm
-
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/net_use.mspx?mfr=true
--
DaveE
DaveE's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=32090

http://forums.techarena.in
racingmustang
2009-02-18 19:58:30 UTC
HELLO ALL

I FOUND A TRUE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM (NOT A WORKAROUND).[/B]
HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE RELEVANT FOR OTHERS EXPERIENCING THIS FRUSTRATING
NEARLY INEXPLICABLE PROBLEM. (I KNOW THE THREAD IS OLD.)

*I HAD THE FOLLOWING SYMPTOMS

1. On ONE workstation only, the user logged in and received [B]Syste
Error 2221* while a logon script tried to map a drive using the remot
system name and share. This problem did NOT happen at othe
workstations when used with the same user account and logon script.

2. If an administrator account was used at the "faulty" workstation
the share would map perfectly.

3. Alternatively providing an IP address and share name in place o
the remote system name and share name successfully mapped the drive a
the "faulty" workstation.

The answer... tada...

I was unaware of an obsolete set of credentials saved in the *STORE
USER NAMES AND PASSWORDS* applet. It was overriding the expected logi
script (default) credentials. To access this applet and delete th
offending credentials, go to *Control Panel > User Accounts > Advance
(tab) > Manage Passwords (button).*

In all fairness to previous posts, this was a really tough problem t
find because the errors were very subtle, but I did get the feeling th
credentials were being overridden _somewhere._

Enjoy!
Racingmustan

--
racingmustan
racingmustang's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/racingmustang.ht

http://forums.techarena.i
ctvarner
2009-10-20 13:07:41 UTC
I have the same problem, but racingmustang's solution did not apply.
I'd like to offer a variation of DaveE's solution.

I found I could map a drive with the */user* keyword in the *net use
command, specifying the same domain\userid that I had used to log on t
this machine, but without specifying a password. Thus the following:

NET USE[/B]- DRIVE: \\SERVERNAME\SHARE
[B]/USER:%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME

Building on that, I wrote a little batch script to un- and re-map al
of my mapped drives using the logon credentials. (Your mileage ma
vary: you may not need to un-map anything, or you may need some of you
drives mapped with different credentials. -Caveat emptor.-)
for /f "tokens=2,3 skip=6" %%i in ('net use') do call :check %%i %%j
goto :EOF
:check
set __drive=%1
set __share=%2
if "%__drive% %__share%" NEQ "Windows Network" (
if "%__drive% %__share%" NEQ "command completed" (
net use %__drive% /d
net use %__drive% %__share% /user:%userdomain%\%username%
)
)
Good luck

--